Search This Blog

Thursday, April 19, 2018

New Release -- The Innocents (The Innocents Mystery Series Book 1) by C.A. Asbrey @prairierosepubs #historicalmystery

Pinkerton Detective Abigail MacKay is a master of disguises—and of new crime-solving technology! But she’ll have to move fast to stay a step ahead of Nat Quinn and Jake Conroy. 

Nat and Jake are the ringleaders of The Innocents, a western gang that specializes in holding up trains carrying payrolls—and Nat is pretty savvy when it comes to using the new sciences of 1868 in committing his crimes.

Charismatic Nat and handsome Jake are on the run, and they’ve always gotten away before—before Abi. But when Abi is caught by another band of outlaws during the chase, there’s no other choice for Nat and Jake but to save her life. Abi owes them, and she agrees to help them bring in the murderer of a family friend. 

The web of criminal activity grows more entangled with each passing day, but Nat, Jake, and Abi are united in their efforts to find the murderer. Once that happens, all bets are off, and Abi will be turning Nat and Jake over to the law. But can she do it? She finds herself falling for Nat, but is that growing attraction real? Or is he just using her to learn more about the Pinkertons’ methods? Abi always gets her man—but she may have met her match in her “best enemies”—THE INNOCENTS.

EXCERPT


     “So, you want to pretend you’re a Pinkerton? As a female?” His eyes darkened. “I’ve questioned one before, although he didn’t know who I was. They’re trained real well on being both sides of interrogations. You don’t want to do this. Not as a woman. He had a real hard time. You’ll have it even harder.” 
     She sat staring ahead once more, her face impassive and stony.
     “You’ve nothing to say?”
     Her eyes flashed. “Beating the hell out of me won’t change anything but my view of you.”
     Nat reached out and entwined a hard fist in her hair and dragged her backward until the chair balanced on the back legs. He brought his face close to hers, his hot breath burning into her cheek.  “Think harder, lady. This isn’t a game. Who are you?”
     Abigail felt the dragging pain at the back of her head as shards of pain lanced across her scalp. He held her, balanced between his painful grip and a clattering fall to the floor but her stubborn nature wouldn’t let her acquiesce.
     “Others will come after you, no matter what you do to me.” She darted her eyes to meet his, unable to move her pinioned head. “I won’t be the last.”

          

13 comments:

  1. Happy book birthday to C.A., Abi, Nat, and Jake!!

    Y'all have such an amazing, addictive, intriguing, hilarious story to tell and I'm so excited it's out there for everyone to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I really hope people enjoy these. They are a pleasure to write.

      Delete
  2. Christine, I just wanted to say again how much I thoroughly enjoyed this first book in your series. I do an awful lot of reading, and this is one of my favorite books I've read in a very long time. I am so excited to know that there are MORE to look forward to, and we are thrilled to have you with us here at Prairie Rose Publications!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. It took a publisher with vision to take these stories on and I love writing them.

      Delete
  3. Happy Release Day! This book looks fantastic. Very different! Good luck, C.A.and welcome to PRP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's been a busy day and very daunting to have your baby out there, but everyone has been very kind.

      Delete
  4. Yet another great story for the TBR list. Best and keep them coming. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am intrigued by the concept and the excerpt and I confess I couldn't help but be reminded of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids, to incorrigible rascals from the movie with Newman and Redford. I look forward to reading your book and congratulations on this series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You hit the nail on the head for the spirit of the books! Someone else described the stories as 'Murdoch Mysteries' meets 'Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman.' Throw in some Butch and Sundance and you're about there.

      Delete
  6. WOW! This is another on my TBR list after I finish my WIP. The blurb more than intrigued me, the excerpt hooked me. Nice coever too. And I adore series so I look forward to this one. Wishing you much success on this one and all of the upcoming. Congratulations on your debut. You'll love being at PRP. So nice to meet you.
    soso

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO much, Beverly. It is a great pleasure to be here. Lovely people to work with. I look forward to getting to know everyone much better.

      Delete
  7. Loved your excerpt: vivid, exciting, and it makes me want more. I'm looking forward to this story and the ones to follow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm delighted that people are enjoying the characters.

      Delete